Theatre for a New Audience (TFANA), an award-winning LORT-C theatre producing Shakespeare alongside classical and contemporary plays, seeks an experienced Technical Director for its new, state-of-the-art theater that is uniquely flexible for the city of New York. Located in Brooklyn, adjacent to BAM, the the Polonsky Shakespeare Center opened in 2013 with Julie Taymor’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream. The technical director will be a part of the theater’s producing team, reporting to the Associate Producer and directly managing one full-time Production Coordinator. The ideal candidate is skilled in all aspects of scenic construction, experienced in complex rigging and automation, and knowledgeable about all areas of technical design, including lighting, sound, and projection.
TFANA is an equal opportunity employer committed to being an inclusive workplace and strongly believes in the importance of having a diverse group of individuals represented both onstage and off.
- Extensive knowledge of technical theater, including all types of scenic construction, rigging, automation, as well as lighting, sound and projection components.
- Skilled in using AutoCAD and/or Vectorworks
- Strong organizational, communication, and crew management skills
- Ability to manage and execute multiple complex projects at once
- Ability to work within a budget
- Must work non-traditional hours, including frequent nights and weekends
- Supervise theatrical activity within the theater and its ancillary spaces and facilities
- Maintain, inspect, and repair all theatrical systems and supplies, including all rigging, soft-goods, lighting, sound, and video equipment, and SteelDeck components.
- Evaluate and communicate costs and feasibility of designs to producers, including technical and engineering information.
- Reporting to the Associate Producer the Technical Supervisor will work to providepractical solutions for mounting projects of all scales successfully.
- Manage Load-in, work calls, and show crews
- Oversee production calendar and maintain scenic and rigging load-in schedule
- Prepare bid packages for scene shops
- Prepare build drawings as needed
- Maintain policies to ensure and enforce safe work practices in all backstage and on-stage areas.
- 3 or more years of technical direction experience preferably in the NYC performing arts market.
- The ideal candidate will have a collaborative spirit and excel at working in teams.
- Salary commensurate with experience. Benefits package available.
To apply for this position please send letter of interest, resume, and a list of three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
|by Milton Glaser
Pictured above: Kathryn Hunter and cast members of A Midsummer Night’s Dream, photo by Joan Marcus.