POSTED: November 3, 2021
Position: Marketing Manager
Reports to: Director of Marketing and Communications
About Theatre for a New Audience
Founded in 1979, Theatre for a New Audience (TFANA) is an award-winning off-Broadway LORT- C theatre whose mission is to develop and vitalize the performance and study of Shakespeare and classic drama alongside other new work. TFANA is dedicated to building a culturally diverse and equitable environment and strongly encourages applications from underrepresented populations. The position will remain open until a diverse and qualified pool of candidates is identified.
Values and Strategies:
We are guided in our work by five core values: a reverence for language, a spirit of adventure, a commitment to diversity, a dedication to learning, and a spirit of service. These values inform what we do with artists, how we interact with audiences, and how we manage our organization. Language is at the heart of all we do. We focus on the language and ideas of writers. We believe that hearing great language powerfully expressed improves our listening skills, opens our eyes, and deepens our perception and understanding of the world around us. We infuse our work with adventure—provocative ideas, visual boldness, and a sense that we are on a lifelong journey with Shakespeare and classic drama. We are committed to diversity—diverse approaches to dramatic material, diversity on our staff, in our casting and audiences, and multifaceted relationships with uniquely different communities. Learning is a fundamental principle of the Theatre, and we value learning as a process that takes place over time—a process that depends on our ability to promote curiosity, reflection, study, research and dialogue in all our work. We are dedicated to service. Inspired by our civic role, we seek to create broad public access and to bond the diverse New York community through the language, pleasure and ideas of classical drama. To advance our mission and values, Theatre for a New Audience:
- produces Shakespeare alongside other plays of classic stature and major contemporary plays, creating a dialogue over centuries between Shakespeare and other authors about our contemporary world;
- builds long-term associations with artists and offers programs for their growth and ongoing development;
- promotes the humanities by presenting dynamic discussions with leading artists and scholars in a variety of fields in conjunction with the plays we present;
- programs for wide-ranging audiences—from connoisseurs of diverse repertory to young people who are seeing groundbreaking productions for the first time;
- promotes access for diverse audiences by offering reduced-priced tickets;
- provides rich arts-in-education programs, including teacher training and the largest in-depth program to introduce Shakespeare in NYC Public schools;
- contributes to the international theatre community through touring, artistic exchanges and partnerships.
For more information, visit www.tfana.org and see the About Us and Production History tabs.
About the Position: Marketing Manager
The Marketing Manager reports to the Director of Marketing and Communications. The Marketing Manager is a multi-faceted position that executes marketing efforts; tracks sales; updates TFANA’s website; and contributes to strategy and messaging. The Marketing Manager also supervises TFANA’s New Deal Coordinator and supports the organization of New Deal nights and events. TFANA’s New Deal program offers $20 ticket for all productions for age 30 and under and full-time students of any age.
The Marketing Manager also interacts frequently with the Founding Artistic Director (to whom the Director of Marketing and Communications reports), General Manager, Theatre Manager, and consultants such as our press representatives and graphic designers. A successful candidate will have experience in both digital and traditional marketing best practices.
- Run daily sales summaries, maintain internal tracking documents, and assist Director in reporting on trends and analytics.
- Creation and deployment of all emails, including pre-and post-show communications and paid eblasts.
- Create digital content for the theatre’s front-of-house digital and printed displays, website, and social channels.
- Manage TFANA’s social media content, perform active social listening, and respond to or flag comments.
- Manage asset creation and key art done by freelance graphic designer.
- Coordinate and deliver assets for campaigns run by digital advertising agency.
- Update website and liaise with vendor/developer on larger projects.
- Assist with the advertising process, including placing reservations, tracking IOs, monitoring deadlines, routing, and delivering materials on time.
- Oversee New Deal program and audience development initiatives, including supervising the part-time New Deal Program Coordinator and a team of brand ambassadors, events (Pay-What-You-can performances, New Deal Night post-show parties), outreach, and partnerships.
- Commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion.
Qualifications & Traits
- 3+ years of experience working in marketing, communications, advertising or a relevant field, and a knowledge of and passion for theatre.
- Professional experience working with OvationTix, Spektrix, or other ticketing software; WordPress or other CMS platforms; Microsoft Office suite and cloud-based environment, Adobe CC applications (especially InDesign and Photoshop) and HTML.
- Experience managing social media accounts, including proficiency with Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and YouTube.
- Positive self-starter with excellent project management, organizational, and analytical skills.
- A team player who thrives in a fast-paced environments.
- Must be available for occasional evening and weekend hours when there are events, and monitor social media channels on weekends/holidays.
Compensation is $58,500. Benefits offered include medical, Life and long-term disability insurance, paid time off, and voluntary pre-tax programs for retirement (403[b]), Dental, Transit and FSA.
Applicants for this position should send a full cover letter and resume (combined into one PDF): firstname.lastname@example.org
with “Marketing Manager” in the subject line of the e-mail.